COP28 reception: launching our global goals for climate leadership at COP28.
On 15th November 2023, the Environment APPG launched a set of nine asks for the UK delegation to COP28 with a parliamentary reception. The event was attended by MPs, peers, charities and businesses.
Keeping 1.5 alive: Global goals for climate leadership at COP28 was launched with a reception for our parliamentary and associate members. We heard excellent speeches from APPG Vice Chair, Baroness Young of Old Scone, Islamic Relief's Shazia Arshad and COP28 Youth Delegate Arianna Abdul-Nour. We also received media coverage in The Independent and Politico's London Playbook.
Bringing together priorities from our associate and parliamentary members, the publication puts forward nine global goals:
- Get the loss and damage fund up and running as soon as possible
- Reach consensus on phasing out fossil fuels
- Triple renewable energy by 2030
- Double investment in energy efficiency by 2030
- Reduce resource use to address the climate crisis
- Transform land use to end deforestation and boost food security
- Withdraw from the Energy Charter Treaty
- Set the gold standard for international marine protection
- Follow through on the Global Methane Pledge to ensure the 2030 targets are met